This is Gary Cherny, the vocalist for Before We’re Done. Which is arguably the most well respected band currently in Mile High (Denver) Hardcore. Gary is known for being a stand up guy that easily floats between all cliques, groups and social circles in our local hardcore community. He is often viewed as “everyone’s friend”. With a giant hug, a firm handshake or welcoming smile this man has won over the hearts of many folks that come around to shows, effectively fooling each and every one of them.
The four above photos are screen shots of messages which Gary sent me via the anonymous option on Tumblr. With the use of my IP tracker and a few unsuspecting questions to Gary, we were able to prove that it was him beyond a reasonable doubt.
To backtrack… I was raped inside of my home three months ago by someone that had been stalking me at shows. This person would call me from blocked numbers, reference what I had been wearing at the show the night before, threaten to rape me and then hang up. We all thought it was simple harassment, but the person turned out to be good on their threat. Unfortunately, to this day we have no been able to identify this person, as I did not see his face at all during my attack.
Now, I am not suggesting that Gary was my perpetrator, let’s be clear on that. What I am saying that, at the very least, his choice of words was especially poor. No woman should ever be told to “get raped” in the first place, period. But, the wounds are still fresh and it has sent me into an incredibly dark place.
Gary and I have been close acquaintances for a while (which is why I am more than confused by his actions) and he knew that growing up my biological father was my best friend. He knew that he had raised me all on his own as a single parent my whole life and when he died when I was 14 that my world shattered. He also knew that my foster father sexually abused and perpetrated me repeatedly in my teen years. Hence my reaction to his last anonymous message when he said, “go get raped by some father figure in your life… Oh wait… You don’t have one.”
When confronted, he profusely denied it and said, “I can’t even understand how you would think that was me, EmilyAnne,” as he hid behind his friendly reputation. Upon making it known that there was absolutely no way he could debate his innocence, he asked if we could meet in person and talk. I agreed on the condition that I could bring Marco to witness what he had to say. We all met up later that night and he continued to give me gigantic puppy eyes, practically turning on the water works and confessed while also trying to give a sad story about why he did what he did. I cut him off, asked Marco if he had heard Gary’s confession and we both walked away.
If you read the screen shots, it’s very more than clear that there is direct aggression, threats and the obvious suggestion of rape. This is something that I will not tolerate in my community. Many of you will be shocked to read this (if it gets out) and will probably wish to deny it initially. But, Gary has called multiple people seeking help and has openly admitted to all of them what he did. Ask him yourself, he will not deny it. Now, the threats and words that he used are ones that are very direct. Whatever his excuse, I have no desire to hear it. This is rape culture at it’s finest when we listen to and take pity on a man that undeniably targeted a woman agressively telling her “you’re gonna get what’s coming to you”, “all in due time, bitch” and “go get raped”.
When I first received the anons before we figured out it was Gary, I called the police, suspecting it had some attachments to my rape. They suggested that I file a restraining order. I would much rather see this go around to every person in our scene and possibly branch out further resulting in immeasurable social discomfort for him. So, please, don’t just ‘like’ this post. Reblog it if you can. I know it is long, I know it is not funny, nor is it cute. But, it is important. Even if this gets two reblogs, I’ll be happy that at least the awareness branched out that far. His band tours around as well as plays local shows, all the while having Gary as their frontman talking about solidarity and love. About how hardcore is a place for kids who don’t belong to come and find a home. When clearly Gary is a misogynist, rape culture perpetuating, hypocrite.
They will be playing this Tuesday at The Marquis. Please, support the touring bands, but omit your presence from the opening act Before We’re Done as well as all other shows they play if they continue to keep Gary as their vocalist.
Fuck this guy! I hope this band gets to go on tour to England cos there is a cricket bat with the name Gary Cherny on it waiting for him. You think you know what ‘Hardcore” is? Come experience some fucking true English Punk beat-down coward.
^^^ i want to see the true english punk beat-down on this sucker can we make this happen? send this pencil dick to england
Right before I start, it is awful when someone takes difficult times in someones life and uses that to be negative and hateful towards them, however, what the hell is that nonsense reply underneath? You are asking if that hateful negative bully thinks he knows what hardcore is, yet you then go on to say he should come experience some “true English punk beatdowns” what the fuck are you on about? Hardcore is not about beating people up because you don’t like their behaviours. Not only are you making yourself look like a complete tool, that is exactly what hardcore is not about. Wise up.
Posted on July/22/2012 with 1871
Originally Posted by: six-sisters Reblogged From: melesmelesxvx
- fluxnebula reblogged this from treebeardoffangorn
- swirlycurly likes this
- theonlycompanion likes this
- policeonmyback likes this
- theli0nwar reblogged this from thenicoleelaine
- thenicoleelaine reblogged this from six-sisters and added:
- wasteofmytime666 reblogged this from six-sisters
- straightedgexprincess likes this
- six-sisters reblogged this from mandyybobandy and added:
- mandyybobandy reblogged this from six-sisters and added:
- theearthtilted likes this
- warlordx13 likes this
- elegyonmars reblogged this from six-sisters
- hephaestus likes this
- patchynptista likes this
- taqwacorequeen reblogged this from eclectic-ellie
- eclectic-ellie reblogged this from shurikenship
- chuckystorch likes this
- ladyenjolras reblogged this from sweetdeltablues
- illonink reblogged this from sweetdeltablues
- zenny-spice reblogged this from leahxvx and added:
- zenny-spice likes this
- changedhersoul reblogged this from sweetdeltablues
- swimminginwinter likes this
- sassafrasslove reblogged this from sweetdeltablues
- gashforcash reblogged this from sweetdeltablues
- thepajmahal reblogged this from sweetdeltablues
- boombingpow reblogged this from freemindfreebody
- asonginmyheart reblogged this from beatasavedlatin
- themightyjeis reblogged this from hybridsunshine and added:
- hybridsunshine reblogged this from sweetdeltablues
- forest-royalty reblogged this from frankieveeee
- thesirensaresingingyours0ng likes this
- emmahjeanduke reblogged this from sweetdeltablues and added:
- sweetdeltablues reblogged this from leahxvx
- corporealventing reblogged this from natureofdisgust
- thementalityofta likes this
- unlaced-heart likes this
- w-hatevver reblogged this from freemindfreebody
- natureofdisgust reblogged this from beatasavedlatin
- sunflowersareyellow reblogged this from freemindfreebody
- sinisterseduction likes this
- captaincurve reblogged this from constantblushing
- constantblushing reblogged this from beatasavedlatin
- beatasavedlatin reblogged this from ihatenicolascage
- curiosity-killed-the-pixie likes this
- what-would-the-community likes this
- modernpangea reblogged this from ihatenicolascage and added: